98 R Timing Belt Question!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
SERPENT
New ITRCA Member

98 R Timing Belt Question!

Post by SERPENT »

Attn: Riders and Racers alike

My R's 7 years old this year. Not sure what Helms manual recommends for the timing belt to be changed. With the miles reading at 83k mi., is the timing belt really due at this point?

Thanks in advance.

Serpent
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

FWIW I always do what's called preventative maintenance. I would rather replace the part than have it cause troubles later on and since we are talking timing belt I would definitely change it. Then again I do the work myself and I've heard it's rather expensive to have it done somewhere else. Also while your doing that, I would replace the water pump and check the tensioner. Good Luck
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

Helm's says every 60k miles to change the timing belt. This is recommended with ALL honda's.

Yes as Dave stated do the water pump and tensioner also. Hell I even did my oil pump along with the stated above on my timing belt change. I upgraded though and used the TODA timing belt.
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

If I'm not mistaken our ITR motors are the 105,000 mile service one... But with the high reving daily beatings most of us give them I'd do it a little bit earlier. I plan on doing mine at 75k. I recently looked at it and it looked great.

But either way replacing the belt is sure cheaper then letting it snap.
swed
rene m
ITRCA Member

Post by rene m »

Bbasso wrote:If I'm not mistaken our ITR motors are the 105,000 mile service one... But with the high reving daily beatings most of us give them I'd do it a little bit earlier. I plan on doing mine at 75k. I recently looked at it and it looked great.

But either way replacing the belt is sure cheaper then letting it snap.
Just did mine at 90k and it looked new..
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

When I did mine @ 60k it looked new.

Valves don't play well when high 5in' pistons too well. The added insurance of doing it was well worth the possibilities...
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!
norway
New ITRCA Member

Post by norway »

i learned this the hard way on my daily driver crx, i have all the parts i need to replace the timingbelt, but just days before ì planed to replace it did the belt slip. :x
so im praying every night before i go to bed that no valves are bendt, i belive that is the worst thing that could happen?
ITR `98 #1240
bbqman
Canadian Director

Re: 98 R Timing Belt Question!

Post by bbqman »

SERPENT wrote:Attn: Riders and Racers alike

My R's 7 years old this year. Not sure what Helms manual recommends for the timing belt to be changed. With the miles reading at 83k mi., is the timing belt really due at this point?

Thanks in advance.

Serpent
Mileage, type of use,time and engine heat all play a factor in timing belt wear.
If the car sees only street use, 60,00miles or 100,000km is the rule of thumb. This doen't guarantee that it won't break before but there is a price to pay for security.

In my case, I track the car on average 50 days a year, I rack up 50,000km per year and some road trips see the car run 24hours non stop.....so I change my belt every year before the racing starts. This week, my 4th belt gets installed!
I install a new water pump every time and the tensioner will get changed this time around.

In your case, given the years and mileage, a new belt along with a pump will not be luxury!