thinking about getting rid of the s2000 for type-r

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
gt489
New ITRCA Member

thinking about getting rid of the s2000 for type-r

Post by gt489 »

ive been think about getting rid of the s2000 and getting a 97 or 98 type-r integra. i had a 97 gsr sedan for several years and loved the car. i love the s2000 but its just not the same. the s2000 will out perform a gsr no problem but i drove my friends type-r and its a very capable compact sports car. im really torn between the 2 cars and dont know which i should get. i have a 2005 tsx daily driver so this is a pleasure vehichle. idk just confused any help? everyone from the s2000 forum says the itr is a down grade and i dont really see it that way. also getting alot of fwd is the wrong drive. i love the s2000 but after a few yaers of driving it its like been there done that dont really want another one but im kinda getting pulled back to an integra but this time around i want to do it right and get an itr. any help would be great thanx
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Re: thinking about getting rid of the s2000 for type-r

Post by Bbasso »

I think it's a personal choice that no one but yourself can make...
Both have great possibilites but both are great stock.
The choice is up to you.
swed
gt489
New ITRCA Member

Post by gt489 »

yea but im kinda lookin at this as a long term car to hold onto i have the s2000 already but think the itr will be the better long term choice.
phoenixR34
New ITRCA Member

Post by phoenixR34 »

I ditched my S2000 for a '98 Type R and thank myself everyday for doing it! Granted, I loved my S2000, but on and off the track the Type R is just a lot more fun to drive and a lot more practical. I did a lot of mods to the S2000 (find the "NASA TTC Buildup" thread on S2ki) and it was pretty fast on track, but it wasn't much fun to drive. For perspective, the S2000 with coilovers, Hoosiers, a wing, brakes etc., was ~4 seconds faster per lap than the Type R was *totally stock*, on Dunlop street tires. Yeah, four seconds is an eternity, but considering the R was on street tires and didn't have a single modification otherwise, that's not a big gap. I'm not convinced the S2000 is really that much better than the R.. the simple fact that he S2K is on 245s probably explains most of the difference.

Anyways, the way I see it, it's next to impossible to find a nice 97-98 Type R... you can find S2000s all day long and there will never be a shortage. Try the Type R and if you hate it, you won't lose any money and you can get another S2000.

And for the wannabe racers on S2Ki.com (sure, there are a few fast guys), the Type R is fast enough to wipe out about 90% of the S2000 "racers" at any given track. I've driven a lot of cars on track and out of the box, nothing is more balanced and fun to drive than the Type R. It's not the fastest car ever, but it's definitely one of the most fun to drive.

Do it.

ps. A friend of mine has had a Type R for a number of years. He bought and S2000 to go with it, then ended up selling it and kept the Type R.
p nut
New ITRCA Member

Post by p nut »

I had both. Really depends on what you're after. The S2000 is faster. Period. Straight line, auto-x and track. Doesn't necessarily mean more fun, though. The big thing with most people will be the practicality issue. However, you already have that covered with the TSX (and I really wouldn't daily drive the R anyway, so I'd get a dedicated daily driver no matter what).

The ITR will be cheaper to maintain and track than the S2000. So if you're a track junkie, the ITR would be a more economical choice. But then again, if you're really an econo-trackie, then you'd get an EG hatch. :lol:

I had fun in both. I felt the ITR was more nimble and the brakes were superb. I felt the engine department could've used a wee bit more umph (~220hp stock?). Plenty of interior space. SO much fun tossing it around. The BIG negative was the theft issue. Couldn't go anywhere without worrying about it.

The S2000 was a fun car, too. First off, personally, I think it had an edge in the aesthetics department over the R. I love the R. The look is classic. However, it does look like a regular Integra (to an average Joe), whereas the S2000 is very unique. The convertible feature was nice, too. However, if a coupe version were available, I would've bought it in a heart-beat and might have held on to it. I wasn't a big fan of the digital cluster (still not) and preferred the ITR's cluster. Other than that, I preferred the interior in the S2000 more than the ITR.

Overall, if it were up to me, I'd probably keep the S2000. Not because I prefer it, but because you already have it. They're both fun in their own right and will have their marks in Honda's history.
zzdragonzz
New ITRCA Member

Post by zzdragonzz »

Type R = Rare

S2K = EVERYWHERE

I too had teh choice to picking betw/ ITR and S2K....ITR all the way

Just make sure you find one in decent shape, and make sure you get GPS security, these things are a hot commodity.
itr184
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr184 »

well i have both i have a 2000 s2k and a 98 cw type r... lets just say i haven't driven the s2k in awhile :P