Engine died during autocross run..

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
MotorChan
New ITRCA Member

Engine died during autocross run..

Post by MotorChan »

My 00 ITR engine has died during an autox run. It happened twice this year and I had went to 8 events this year so far. Both cases were my first run of the event(coinsident?). As soon as I noticed it, I turned the key again and engine fire back up. It seems to work just fine for the rest of the day. Anyone have any idea where to check? I have no clue. My gut feeling tell me something electrical for some reasons or spark plugs?

The car runs perfectly. It's smooth with good power and nothing seems wrong.

I guess my question is that what would make an engine die without any symptoms.
Dave_B

Re: Engine died during autocross run..

Post by Dave_B »

What plug wires are you running? What was the fuel level? Did the motor completely die, or studder?
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
MotorChan
New ITRCA Member

Post by MotorChan »

The spark plug wires are stock(never changed them.. Should I?). Fuel level was around less than half tank. The motor completely died that I had to turn the key to start it again.

I don't think it died during acceleration. For both instances, they were after braking for the corner, I noticed no response with the gas paddle, so I turn the key and engine cranked and started again.

Could it be the ignition switch or the transponder? I remembered for both incidents, I had another car key (subaru) that also contain the anti-theft chip on the key, and also a bundle of stuff hanging.

Worry that it could ruin a good run in the future ;)
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

Check engine light come on at all? Any other lights on the cluster? Does it run perfect otherwise? Did this happen after making any modifications?
2001 Integra Type-R NBP #201
http://www.integratyper.org - ITR Registry!
MotorChan
New ITRCA Member

Post by MotorChan »

No check engine light or any abnormal during regular driving.

I didn't mod anything this year beside regular scheduled factory service.
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

I'd almost think it could be a loose ground someplace. Usually relays don't go out intermittently, they usually just die (usually). Do your clock or radio channels reset?
2001 Integra Type-R NBP #201
http://www.integratyper.org - ITR Registry!
MotorChan
New ITRCA Member

Post by MotorChan »

My clock and radio were fine, nothing were really reset except the engine.
s2kobsessed
New ITRCA Member

Post by s2kobsessed »

did you happen to hit the key with your knee during the braking?
I have done this countless times in the s2k... just nudge the key to the off position and all of the sudden, engine off and I didn't really know what happened at first.

Just a thought
citrus3000psi
New ITRCA Member

Post by citrus3000psi »

s2kobsessed wrote:did you happen to hit the key with your knee during the braking?
I have done this countless times in the s2k... just nudge the key to the off position and all of the sudden, engine off and I didn't really know what happened at first.

Just a thought
Just curious to how tall are you? I'm 6' and I don't think my knee is close to the key at all.

I'd check all the grounds for corrosion/looseness. The one to the head and the one to the tranny. If those are good, I'd start leaning towards something wrong with the distributor. My rotor screw backed out on me one time, and I had no idea until my car started acting funny on the track. I have no idea how long it had been like this. Amazing how it didn't do any damage, Just had to replace the cap and rotor. If the dizzy seems fine, I'd start leaning towards the ecu. Isn't there a ground wire on the ecu? or does the case ground it out? Could be fuel related, but there should be pressure in system, so I'd think it would stumble then die when you got back on the gas. Its hard to tell what the car is doing because your braking hard in both instances.
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

I've done the key bump thing before.

If you haven't changed anything in the spark/ignition system, I'd definitely do that regardless. If it dies when you press the clutch in during braking (downshifting)...something to consider. It's happened to me when the ignitor was going bad.