Power steering removal done right!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Power steering removal done right!

Post by Erik95LS »

So I know a lot of you have done this or looped your steering lines or simply taken the belt off to get rid of your power steering. Some like it.....some don't. A big thanks to Matt (Dropspeed) for first going through this and making the info available. Looping the lines full of fluid or simply taking the belt off will of course disable your power steering, but it leaves you having to move all the fluid and air through the system and gives you a really heavy, hard to turn wheel. Properly looping the system on a power rack with a vent of some sort and minimal fluid to lubricate the rack as I have done will give you a much better feel and it's barely more effort than with power steering in place other than when stationary on wide, sticky tires.

There are a few kits on the market to do this, but most are pricey and/or hard to find. You can do this yourself for as little as $20 or take it on up to $120+. Just depends on what parts you decide to get. There's NO need for AN stuff. The vented rack does not create much pressure in the lines so there's really no point. I had credit with Pegasus though and nothing else to spend it on so I got all this stuff. I'm really happy with it though. And it looks cool :P You really only need a metric pipe adapter with a hose barb on the other end. One is already in place on the other rack port so you only need the one. Then some rubber hose, a t-fitting, and some sort of breather and a place to mount it. You're just giving the air and fluid pressure from both ports someplace to go as the rack moves back and forth. So you run a hose ( or in my case AN piping) from both fittings to 2 of the ports on the T fitting and then hose from the remaining port to the breather. Add a bit of fluid to lubricate the rack (it will spit out what it doesn't need) and you're good to go. excellent steering feel with a nice controllable weight to it. Car feels like a whole new animal.

Here is a list of the parts I used.

1x adapter. LINK

(If you wish to use no other AN stuff just get this barb adapter and place it on the fitting above and run your hose. LINK )

1x T-Fitting in -6 LINK

1x 180deg socketless -6 fitting LINK

1x straight or angled socketless -6 fitting (up to you) LINK

1x Female flare swivel connector in -6 LINK

and then about 4-6 feet of -6 socketless hose or any rubber hose about that size. Then you can connect the hose to whatever breather you want to use.

Now to pictures.

my breather and a bracket I made to mount it to.

As always feel free to ask any questions or add your own experiences/comments with this. Or if you found other cheaper solutions by all means post them.

:cheers:
Last edited by Erik95LS on April 22nd, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: Powr steering removal done right!

Post by Dave-ROR »

I need to do this on the chump car soon. I'll have to ask you about it in more detail I guess then :)
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

absolutely dude! Anything you need.
-Erik

MARVNVRAM
New ITRCA Member

Post by MARVNVRAM »

Have any pics of the routing of the hoses on the car from the breather to the rack?
ITR 98-0892
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

comes down out of the breather and runs under the motor mount and right along the shock tower and down to the rack. no zipties or anything securing the hose. going under the mount perfectly secures the hose and keeps it out of anything that could damage (or be damaged by) it.

-Erik

coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Tech. :)
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
98spec022
ITRCA Member

Post by 98spec022 »

Ordered enough parts to do the DD and the R!

I'll be practicing on the DD :lol:
98spec022
ITRCA Member

Re: Power steering removal done right!

Post by 98spec022 »

Couple install pics:

itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

looks awesome, after driving erik's car this is definitely on the list of things to do now.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

I think I'll need to drive a car with this done to consider it. Is a more firm/controlled wheel at higher speeds why you've done this?
-Eric
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

Yeah. A lot more control over the steering wth the power assist. Everything the front wheels see gets transfered throgh to the driver far better also. Car is so much nicer to drive too. Parking is mildly annoying though, but who does that anyway?
-Erik

CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Erik95LS wrote:Yeah. A lot more control over the steering wth the power assist. Everything the front wheels see gets transfered throgh to the driver far better also. Car is so much nicer to drive too. Parking is mildly annoying though, but who does that anyway?
ha! You would've hated driving my Si with electronic power steering. I definitely will have to think about doing this down the road. I'm sure it gives you much more of a "raw" feel as you described.
-Eric
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Erik95LS wrote:Yeah. A lot more control over the steering wth the power assist. Everything the front wheels see gets transfered throgh to the driver far better also. Car is so much nicer to drive too. Parking is mildly annoying though, but who does that anyway?
Some ITR owners do a lot of "parking"... :P
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

well no power steering and wide sticky tires definitely makes for "hard parking"
-Erik

98spec022
ITRCA Member

Post by 98spec022 »

Yeah I had to do a K-turn with 215/45/16 Azenis today. Suckage.
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

coolhandluke wrote:
Some ITR owners do a lot of "parking"... :P
My ITR has been parking for quite some time now.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

I used a home depot 1/4" NPT 3/8" barb fitting, with a 3/8" barb T fitting and a few feet of hose on 2 cars now. It's not as pretty, but very cheap.

I still need to find a breather, and need to add a little extra fluid to the racks.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Little_Nolan
ITRCA Member

Post by Little_Nolan »

This is pretty cool, its really interesting... I would have to feel a car with this done to make a decesion..

Thanks for posting Erik
I KILL car thieves.
jdmtuner
New ITRCA Member

Post by jdmtuner »

nice write up
R-box
ITRCA Member

Post by R-box »

Nate, you can drive R-box and see what it's like with the belt simply removed (thanks to an off at ASR, lol!) and then prob drive Erik's and compare. I need to loop mine but I have been too lazy, so at Expo, I'll be like "SONUVA MOTHER F---" through, what, turn 9-10? LOL :D
love it or shove it.
crxgator
ITRCA Member

Post by crxgator »

would this hose be suitable for this?

http://www.aeroquip.cc/fbg0600fcg0606-6ftlength.aspx

also where did you get the breather reservoir?
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

crxgator wrote:would this hose be suitable for this?

http://www.aeroquip.cc/fbg0600fcg0606-6ftlength.aspx

also where did you get the breather reservoir?
yeah definitely. This stuff isn't under any real pressure so almost any hose will work just fine.

I got my reservoir from here where I got everything else http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group. ... pID=MCTILT

You can even use an oem honda clutch m/c reservoir if you want though the fitting on the bottom of it is a bit smaller.
-Erik

crxgator
ITRCA Member

Post by crxgator »

thank you, ill be ordering this soon for my new gsr. btw the prices on the fittings are cheaper from http://www.aeroquip.cc than hrpworld. just a heads up for future buyers.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

crxgator wrote:thank you, ill be ordering this soon for my new gsr. btw the prices on the fittings are cheaper from http://www.aeroquip.cc than hrpworld. just a heads up for future buyers.
cool, yeah I just posted those to show which fittings to get.
-Erik

OBROCTO
New ITRCA Member

Post by OBROCTO »

Erik95LS wrote: Here is a list of the parts I used.

1x adapter. LINK

(If you wish to use no other AN stuff just get this barb adapter and place it on the fitting above and run your hose. LINK )

1x T-Fitting in -6 LINK

1x 180deg socketless -6 fitting LINK

1x straight or angled socketless -6 fitting (up to you) LINK

1x Female flare swivel connector in -6 LINK

and then about 4-6 feet of -6 socketless hose or any rubber hose about that size. Then you can connect the hose to whatever breather you want to use.

Now to pictures.

my breather and a bracket I made to mount it to.

As always feel free to ask any questions or add your own experiences/comments with this. Or if you found other cheaper solutions by all means post them.

:cheers:
Was just gonna order the parts for the racecar (and while I'm at it, the daily driver too) but can't fully figure out what I will need. The first link doesn't take me to the actual part and the other links work but seem to leave out the far right threaded fitting (blue) would that be the first part link that doesn't work for this fitting? Could someone please :wink: get me the working link so I get the RIGHT part(s)? Also, is there a link to the hrpworld for tubing and to which reservoir to use as a direct hook-up to the hose?

Much thanks for your help guys!
1997 Integra Type R #305 ~ gone
2000 Type R w/ 16,148 miles built for Honda Challenge
1998 GS-R for playing & 2000 Civic Hatch DX for everyday