EXPO Video

Annoucements and Discussions for ITR Expo 10 at Autobahn Country Club

Moderators: White Dragon, Dave-ROR

cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Re: EXPO Video

Post by cheezthis »

totsie7944 wrote:I'm just done with the whole conversation. I feel as though it could have easily been avoided.
Nah, it's a good discussion. Don't be bothered, we've all been through similar before. You're not the first person with a super fast car that I've worked with, ha.

I think if you tighten up some things on driving and continue to progress, you'll be one of the fastest people out there...no question. I remember pointing your car by when I went out in the Int. group to take a passenger out who had never been on track, and your car ripped by me without me letting off the gas. Usually GTRs do that to me, but not ITRs, ha.

You'll look back on this stuff after a dozen or so track days and laugh, I know I did that.
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

I'm sure that I will. And thanks to this thread I'm going to bust my ass the next 3 events I have this year to kill the corners and find the fastest line for me. It should be a good learning year.
Fully stock R!
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

I'd tell you to brake a bit more, enter slower and exit faster. Sounds simple, but you can learn the best way through it that way and gradually try it with a bit more throttle and entry speed each lap. You'll figure it out. :) Usually I pitch a car in and push it through until I'm about to run out of pavement. If I go much quicker, I will end up the in grass :P
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

cheezthis wrote:Usually I pitch a car in and push it through until I'm about to run out of pavement. If I go much quicker, I will end up the in grass :P
I did that a ton on turn 1 at VIR as I progressed through the weekend...I thought that was bad?
Fully stock R!
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

Well, each lap is a learning experience. You learn how much throttle to give it and try a bit more each time unless it's not working. You can do the same with tightening up the braking zones as well. It's a combination of all those things and after a lot of laps/days, you'll find the sweet spot. That "spot" changes with each car, track conditions, etc. It's the ability to adapt and balance those that make it all clear.

When you were talking about a wet line, I'm curious as to how the instructor was going about that on a dry day. The wet line varies a lot. For the record, I love driving in the rain more than most and am usually one of the first to grid for wet sessions. I learn a ton on them. Hopefully you get a chance to get some good rain sessions in. Car control skills move to the forefront and power is pretty much meaningless. I think you'd like it actually.

Hope that helps....
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

As far as driving the wet line, I'm not sure he fully knew what he was talking about at VIR?? Based on my classroom session, the teacher basically disagreed with my instructor on what the wetline was haha. He had me driving off-line where most cars would not have been as much and the track hadn't built up as much rubber, which would be slick in the rain. However, the teacher was stressing the importance of learning track camber, how the water would roll off the track, etc. It was a pointless exercise during a hot sunny day IMO. I learned nothing except how to look like an idiot on track.
Fully stock R!
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Yeah I can't think of any value in teaching a "wetline" when it's.. well you know.. dry and sunny. Wait for it to be wet to do that, especially since track conditions can change quite a bit when it's raining out.. I vary my line a lot based on the track at the time, I don't think I've ever used any specific "wetline" before honestly.

As for the conversation, it's a good one and should continue. Maybe I didn't start it as well as I could have, but it still worked, we are still discussing it :)

You should repost your reply that you removed, only a few of us saw it before you edited it.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

Here is what I posted:

I have 3 questions I'd like someone else with serious track time to answer:

1)Do two Type R's follow the same line regardless of how they are set up?
2)Do you know how fast I was going through corners or my enter and exit speeds?
3)Has anyone considered my lines weren't ideal because I'm out driving my tires?

That was my last post I had deleted. My point is basically I feel as though just because I have a Type R, does not mean I will follow the same lines as 200 or less whp R's.
Fully stock R!
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

totsie7944 wrote:Here is what I posted:

I have 3 questions I'd like someone else with serious track time to answer:

1)Do two Type R's follow the same line regardless of how they are set up?
2)Do you know how fast I was going through corners or my enter and exit speeds?
3)Has anyone considered my lines weren't ideal because I'm out driving my tires?

That was my last post I had deleted. My point is basically I feel as though just because I have a Type R, does not mean I will follow the same lines as 200 or less whp R's.
1. No and that will be greatly driver dependent as well, but all will be in the same vicinity getting to the edges of the track at your apex and exits in almost all cases no matter the car/setup. (Again, in most cases..)
2. No. Never claimed to.
3. I find it very hard to believe you're out-driving your tires at this point. I could see OVER-driving your tires, but that's a very different thing. I haven't ridden with you though so....
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
Little_Nolan
ITRCA Member

Post by Little_Nolan »

Hey scott.. some how I missed you at expo.

I didnt read all of the BS in this thread but I wouldnt mind watching the videos if you still have them.
I KILL car thieves.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

links are in the 2nd post still nate. No idea why he felt the need to take them down.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
redzcstandardhatch
New ITRCA Member

Post by redzcstandardhatch »

Dave-ROR wrote:Nice videos, horrible line and driving.
really? kinda unnecessary there dude. completely insulting and rude statement, along with being rather untrue, IMO

and yeah, a few of his lines that session were a bit off...but nothing some work couldn't handle, along with some braking work, etc. the camera angle isnt helping us a lot, you really cant see where the car is.

his first HPDE ever was expo 9, and i was his instructor.

i insisted on him NOT using the power. "drive it like an NA car " i said to him, about 40 times. he did. he was phenomenal. within two sessions his line needed almost no work...maybe a reminder to not turn in early here or there. great student. we focused largely on turn entrance and exiting speeds, braking zones, not braking too much too softly, etc. scott did nothing but listen and progress. one of the best students i ever had, and i'd happily ride with him any time.

he seems to be running power too hard, yes. BUT, hes rather smooth, and his inputs are generally very good. everybody cocks up a line here or there...i know i do.

why the prick-comments need to fly, i dont know. dont be so bothered though scott. its nothing to be irked about. look at every session like a learning experience.

the other day i went indoor-karting with some fast kart dudes. i was pissed because after the first session, i was johnnymcslow. i've never done it before, etc.

i found the fast dude. got behind him, worked with his line as i could (i'm heavier, had to figure out some weight shifting, etc.). by the end of 6 sessions i was within .8 seconds of the "fast" times on my fast laps. dont get down....get smarter, get faster, get motivated. a track experience needs to be analytical. you need to look at a lot of factors to see the best was to drive you car. a 600 whp mostly stock ITR is a hard car to drive. HARDER by far than anything i started with (a 250 whp 1900lbs EF).

sorry for the novel.
Little_Nolan
ITRCA Member

Post by Little_Nolan »

Erik95LS wrote:links are in the 2nd post still nate. No idea why he felt the need to take them down.

Thanks Ewik... I tried to click them, gave up, then just kinda forgot after reading some of the BS in this thread lol :wink:
I KILL car thieves.
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

Hi Adam :P I will see you Tuesday I hope! haha

Adam's right though, each lap is a learning experience. I'm usually too tired to get analytical and learn lately, so my laps have been pretty poor. :(
stinkycheezmonky
New ITRCA Member

Post by stinkycheezmonky »

cheezthis wrote:Usually I pitch a car in and push it through until I'm about to run out of pavement. If I go much quicker, I will end up the in grass :P
And sometimes you do end up in the grass! :shock: :P

edit: Facepalm on me for reviving a 3-month dead thread.
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

stinkycheezmonky wrote:
And sometimes you do end up in the grass! :shock: :P

edit: Facepalm on me for reviving a 3-month dead thread.
I have no idea what you're talking about :P I don't know anything about the grass after Patience on Autobahn South, or getting other silver Hondas black-flagged :P