EXPO Video

Annoucements and Discussions for ITR Expo 10 at Autobahn Country Club

Moderators: White Dragon, Dave-ROR

itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Re: EXPO Video

Post by itrsteez »

totsie7944 wrote:How's your ankle?
I'm walking with a limp but it brings out my inner-gangster.

But yeah for real though get slagg next time around, he'll yell & scream but by the end of the weekend you'll have a perfect line around VIR.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

itrsteez wrote:Toots, don't take anything personally. Honestly you need slagg as an instructor next time you go to VIR. He won't let you get away with any BS just for the sake of signing off.
Definately get chad as an instructor if you can.

Toots:
My comments were based on your video. Your line isn't very good for the reasons already mentioned. The driving part of the comment is because of your target fixation.

I don't read the forums much, but everytime someone sends me a link to one of your posts, there's an implied undertone of how great you are as a driver. And yes, you did basically say you wanted a piece of the king car from what I can remember from the post you wrote awhile ago.

Here's what I see on the video:
1. Target fixation
2. Not using very much of the track
3. Missing apexes
4. Making up for all that with a ton of power (your throttle application is smooth though)
5. Occasionally braking too late and going too deep into the corner. (related in part to #3)

I don't have to sit in your car to note any of that from the video. Your posts here definately don't make you look like a humble guy. My only concern is for the safety of everyone at Expo, beyond that I don't care (part of the reason I didn't even look at the VIR video, I don't care what you do at other events).

I don't think you are a horrible driver in general, but you lack experience compared to where you think you are (at least based on your posts).

That more constructive?
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

itrsteez wrote:
totsie7944 wrote:How's your ankle?
I'm walking with a limp but it brings out my inner-gangster.

But yeah for real though get slagg next time around, he'll yell & scream but by the end of the weekend you'll have a perfect line around VIR.
Oh he'll yell, scream and insult a little probably. You need to have a thick skin around chad (not a bad thing).
-Dave
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

Without question.

Scott, ever any interest in driving a normal (slow) ITR?
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Toots, I think you're seeing frustration from guys who rely on their skills/abilities to crack great lap times. You, however, for the most part are running really fast solely due to the mad amountz of vtech. You obviously have skill to manage all that power during the past events, there is no question. However, take that HP away and I think you'll be left getting smoked by everyone as you're not used to having to rely on momentum carrying you through the turns, running almost perfect lines, etc. Really in your situation it's almost like who gives a shit if I take a turn 20mph slower around some turns? I'll just blow them away in the straights. This works of course on spread out tracks, however throw you on something like CMP and I think you'll quickly understand where I'm coming from.

I also think we all feel more comfortable debating with you online. vs. in person for fear of our lives.
-Eric
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

Last edited by totsie7944 on July 29th, 2010, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fully stock R!
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

Last edited by totsie7944 on July 29th, 2010, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fully stock R!
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

totsie7944 wrote:
CivicBeater wrote:
I guess we just need to put me in a stock R and see how I do....
Sweet mother of god you better not let anyone pass you. They're going to flick you off so hard it's not even funny. :lol:
-Eric
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

CivicBeater wrote:I also think we all feel more comfortable debating with you online. vs. in person for fear of our lives.
LOL I'd have this discussion with him in person. I don't even know who he is or what he looks like and he's never come up to introduce himself. Like Jay, I'm usually doing something (although I did sleep a good bit in the tech shed this year :P ) instead of walking up to strangers, and I know most people at Expo anyways.
-Dave
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

Scott is huge, I definitely have seen the light cockyness in posts before. But he's actually very mellow and cool as shit.
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

Last edited by totsie7944 on July 29th, 2010, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fully stock R!
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

totsie7944 wrote:Haha I hear ya! Well since it seems to be the primary belief that I cannot drive and I only am fast around the track because of power, I'd be willing to try this.
Do you remember when you first played Gran Turismo and were stuck with a civic or miata so you were really having to bust your ass around the track just to get a measly 5k? Remember when you found a tip to get a crap load of money to buy everything you wanted so you just went balls out buying the highest stage of everything and your car class shot way outside of your skill level?

That's almost how I look at 600whp in a DC2

Plus you have to remember a lot of people here have drove VIR and there is a line that they're expecting to see and sometimes in the video you weren't off by a little but by a lot. I think if you took an afternoon in a less powerful car and found that line you could re-approach in your current car with much better commentary from everybody.
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

itrsteez wrote:Scott is huge, I definitely have seen the light cockyness in posts before. But he's actually very mellow and cool as shit.

Are you trying to say something?
-Eric
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

quit thinking about penii and we should be able to press forward with this thread as normal
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

One thing to add...

Oh Tootsie!!!

<--- has NOT watched the vids. :)
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

totsie7944 wrote: But I do believe I can drive an out of control car, in control (or whatever the expression is) and I am a very good driver. I've been driving 500+ hp cars for almost 7 years now, I grew up racing 10 second Corvettes in 1/4 miles since I was 16. You decide what your definition is of a great driver is but when it comes to handling a car sideways around a corner or similiar style driving, I can do it.
While that's a great ability to have, that has very little to do with being a good driver. I'm not knocking you, just trying to help. From what I've seen of your driving from videos and from seeing you on track first hand (riding with students and standing next to the track) you take the high horsepower (often seen in muscle car drivers) approach; blast through the straights and then just kind of float through the corners. "I have the power to make up for my inability to get through a corner well." In mentioning this I'm simply trying to get you out of that habit so you can learn a lot more and get a lot faster/better. your car will go through a corner as quickly as any other R with similar weight/suspension. So combine that with your power and you'll seriously move. Work on getting the most out of the corners and you'll get around the track much faster and have MUCH MUCH higher speeds on the straights. That's where the biggest difference is.....in the corners. Being able to carry momentum and get through a corner well is the difference between a slow driver in a fast car and a fast driver in a slow car. The latter is a much better position to be in and then combining that fast driver with a fast car brings you total win.

I don't really care what others do either, but I do care that everyone is safe and that all learn a lot and have the most fun they can. That's what it's all about. So again, use more of the track focus on maintaining and gaining speed through corners consistently and you'll greatly improve. If your instructors aren't stressing that and showing you the way to do that then ask them to. Tell them that's what you want to focus on. HP is irrelevant if you can't get the thing through a corner quickly.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

Fully stock R!
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

^^Right on 8)

Everything is periods from toots now?
-Eric
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

CivicBeater wrote:^^Right on 8)

Everything is periods from toots now?
no, there was a legit post. he must of removed it.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Yep, I have the original post before his ninja edit :)
-Dave
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

Well, you sir are quite the big deal aren't you?
Fully stock R!
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

totsie7944 wrote:Well, you sir are quite the big deal aren't you?
Not at all.

I'm not even sure why you removed it, there was nothing wrong with the post. Unless you don't feel you could learn anything from Erik's response to it?
-Dave
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

Not sure why Scott took it down, I actually think it was a nice discussion. I'm glad he chats about it because we all learn things.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

cheezthis wrote:Not sure why Scott took it down, I actually think it was a nice discussion. I'm glad he chats about it because we all learn things.
Yep, and there was nothing wrong with his post so it confused me today also. shrug.
-Dave
totsie7944
New ITRCA Member

Post by totsie7944 »

I'm just done with the whole conversation. I feel as though it could have easily been avoided.
Fully stock R!