Expo 11 - Possible Event Location

ITR Expo 11 Information

Moderator: White Dragon

smiko0124
New ITRCA Member

Re: Expo 11 - Possible Event Location

Post by smiko0124 »

Excellent!!!! Thanks for keeping us up to date!!
db8-RRRR
White Dragon
ITRCA Member

Post by White Dragon »

West Coast folks - the event's success heavily falls on the shoulders of the folks within a day's drive of the track. For arguement's sake, we would essentially need to get 60 paid drivers + 20 or so instructors to make this a reality, and all within a very short amount of time. Do those west-coasters think it is realistic to get that on a Monday/Tuesday?

Wes
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

White Dragon wrote:West Coast folks - the event's success heavily falls on the shoulders of the folks within a day's drive of the track. For arguement's sake, we would essentially need to get 60 paid drivers + 20 or so instructors to make this a reality, and all within a very short amount of time. Do those west-coasters think it is realistic to get that on a Monday/Tuesday?

Wes

While I'd really like to see E11 somewhere else, in all fairness this message should be relayed on the NWP forums so they can get prepared.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
White Dragon
ITRCA Member

Post by White Dragon »

Can you shoot me a link to it?
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

Of course,

http://forums.nwp4life.com/zerothread?id=12533

Edit: looks like Scott already handled it.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

Just a boy wrote:My biggest fear with having expo on the west coast is the potential of theft. That's not to say there isn't going to be theft anywhere else in the country, but let's be real here: the west coast (namely California) has the highest theft rate of Hondas. And having 100s of Type Rs (the most sought after Honda by thieves) in the area that is the capital of Honda theft will raise flags in that shady group. I'm sure the last thing we R owners all want is a bunch of sketchy people in their DAs, EGs, EFs, DCs, EKs, etc. following us around for the duration of expo, even if they don't have ill intentions and just want to check out our cars.

That's just my take.
The nearest city to Buttonwillow is Bakersfield. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bakersfield the last time I participated in a track event with the ITR at Buttonwillow; but there are other motels closer to the track. The reason I mention Bakersfield, is that auto theft is a concern, but perhaps no more than the Chicago area as someone stated earlier. Proper planning and preventative measures will ensure that no one's car will be stolen while it's parked at the designated hotel. When not at the track or the designated hotel, don't let the car out of your sight. I'm so used to this; it's almost an automatic response as opposed to an imposition. Proper planning means our own parking area at the hotel monitored by private contract security 24/7, supplemented by volunteers from our group. On the lighter side, hopefully registration will open soon!
'97 Monte Carlo Blue Pearl NSX-T
'98 2.0L N/A Integra Type R Track Car
SCCA...member since 2002
KOALA YUMMIES
New ITRCA Member

Post by KOALA YUMMIES »

White Dragon wrote: Do those west-coasters think it is realistic to get that on a Monday/Tuesday?

Wes
This would be one of my biggest concerns. When track events happen out here, most of the guys all go on Sundays. I go on Saturdays sometimes, but the crowd always seems to prefer the Sunday event. I would hope that with an announcement with enough time, people could get the time free, but it is worth serious discussion.
TAG wrote: but there are other motels closer to the track.
We would do those hotels. We choose hotels with very close proximity to the track, usually in places just like near Buttonwillow raceway, small little stops with fast food restaurants, motels and not much else. The two spots right off the I5 aren't very close to Bakersfield city proper and are just like that. It would be the same with Willow Springs.
TAG wrote: Proper planning means our own parking area at the hotel monitored by private contract security 24/7, supplemented by volunteers from our group.
This is unnecessary, and we've never needed it before. We roll in and take the section of the parking lot that we want. And we're all volunteer ITR security.
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

As long as there are enough security volunteers, that should work fine.
SCCA...member since 2002
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

White Dragon wrote:West Coast folks - the event's success heavily falls on the shoulders of the folks within a day's drive of the track. For arguement's sake, we would essentially need to get 60 paid drivers + 20 or so instructors to make this a reality, and all within a very short amount of time. Do those west-coasters think it is realistic to get that on a Monday/Tuesday?

Wes
I would like to think that people who attend ITR Expo see it as something more than just a couple of track-days. The ITR people will certainly not hesitate to use vacation time for this event; I'm not sure about those just attending for the track time only. We will need to fill out the event with non-ITR owners who regularly track their cars, i.e. SpeedVentures event attendees, etc. For instructors (other than those from previous ITR Expos) you may want to put the word out to the regional PCA and BMWCA clubs. Maybe you could post a list of driving instructor qualifications, and also the names and contact information for your chief driving instructor, track steward, and event coordinator/s.
SCCA...member since 2002
BLacK FirE
New ITRCA Member

Post by BLacK FirE »

My post from NWP:

I'm probably in a minority here, but coming from the east coast, I almost prefer Monday/Tuesday dates. I can take off the friday b4 and spend friday - sun driving cross country. Then Mon, tues = expo then I have Wed - Sunday too get home at a more leisurely pace and thats only taking 6 days off from work.

If the event is on a weekend and I try to stay to just taking 6 days off I'm forced to drive home in just as short of a time span as I spent getting out there.
andyjt
ITRCA Member

Post by andyjt »

BLacK FirE wrote:My post from NWP:

I'm probably in a minority here, but coming from the east coast, I almost prefer Monday/Tuesday dates. I can take off the friday b4 and spend friday - sun driving cross country. Then Mon, tues = expo then I have Wed - Sunday too get home at a more leisurely pace and thats only taking 6 days off from work.

If the event is on a weekend and I try to stay to just taking 6 days off I'm forced to drive home in just as short of a time span as I spent getting out there.
Agree Completly. Mon/Tues event helps me a lot. Based on the same reasons you stated!

Cant wait to register!
-Andrew
2001 J32 Swapped Integra Type R
2009 Pearl White CBR1000RR
1982 Civic 1500GL Hatch
1978 Honda Accord CVCC
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

BLacK FirE wrote:My post from NWP:

I'm with Keith here. If I'm gonna drive across the country, this would definitely be the better way for me. I know its not gonna work for everyone, but neither way really will work for everyone.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

To counter the weekday idea, what would be better for the local majority? Most likely the weekend if we base that off of our data from this past year's event. The regional contingent, especially Chicago area, really showed up compared to E9 (Mon Tues).

We're still awaiting word on the availability of a couple particular dates, so nothing is ready to go just yet. Once it is, we will have it on here. Registration will need to be swift though.
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

cheezthis wrote:To counter the weekday idea, what would be better for the local majority? Most likely the weekend if we base that off of our data from this past year's event. The regional contingent, especially Chicago area, really showed up compared to E9 (Mon Tues).

We're still awaiting word on the availability of a couple particular dates, so nothing is ready to go just yet. Once it is, we will have it on here. Registration will need to be swift though.

For those within a day’s drive of Buttonwillow, the weekend would probably be the best. The weekend schedule would also help "sell" the event to local/regional track day enthusiasts.
SCCA...member since 2002
Wai
New ITRCA Member

Post by Wai »

White Dragon wrote:Honda Challenge would also be a part of the event where they would have qualifying and an actual points race incorporated into the event.
Regardless of the location, I would be very hesitant about this idea. I don't mind seeing a fun race, but having an actual point race requires a lot of other things such as tech inspection, impound, scale, teardown, race officials/flagman, or even dyno, etc. It would also mean that the ITR organizers would loose a lot of control over the whole event.

In a point race, racers would be going 10/10 and there are a lot more chances of contacts, accidents, breakdowns, etc. It would take away track time from the other participants. It's a very frequent occurrence during my HC weekends.

Just a thought.
GT Motoring
ProFunction
Password:JDM
Custom Lightz
TAG
New ITRCA Member

Post by TAG »

Wai wrote:
White Dragon wrote:Honda Challenge would also be a part of the event where they would have qualifying and an actual points race incorporated into the event.
Regardless of the location, I would be very hesitant about this idea. I don't mind seeing a fun race, but having an actual point race requires a lot of other things such as tech inspection, impound, scale, teardown, race officials/flagman, or even dyno, etc. It would also mean that the ITR organizers would loose a lot of control over the whole event.

In a point race, racers would be going 10/10 and there are a lot more chances of contacts, accidents, breakdowns, etc. It would take away track time from the other participants. It's a very frequent occurrence during my HC weekends.

Just a thought.
Agreed.

The added complexity of the event with HC, plus the added cost of a track steward, starter, corner workers, and grid personnel, all with sanctioned race event experience would financially burden the ITR Expo general event.
SCCA...member since 2002
Doespike

Post by Doespike »

The Honda Challenge idea has been scrapped.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

Yep, no Honda Challenge. That was removed a few months ago.
Wai
New ITRCA Member

Post by Wai »

cheezthis wrote:Yep, no Honda Challenge. That was removed a few months ago.
Sorry I'm a few months late. :P
GT Motoring
ProFunction
Password:JDM
Custom Lightz
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

No problem :D

It was for a variety of reasons including ones that you mentioned.
Jerzey908
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jerzey908 »

Bring It to Altanta
integrab18c5
New ITRCA Member

Post by integrab18c5 »

i would love to bring my R to a itr expo but its got to be in the northeast.
Comp97GSR
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Comp97GSR »

integrab18c5 wrote:i would love to bring my R to a itr expo but its got to be in the northeast.
You sound like the Cali guys.
Dil.
New ITRCA Member

Post by Dil. »

cheezthis wrote: Most likely the weekend if we base that off of our data from this past year's event. The regional contingent, especially Chicago area, really showed up compared to E9 (Mon Tues).
A weekend event would definitely boost attendance. I am assuming Mid Ohio out of the picture?
redzcstandardhatch
New ITRCA Member

Post by redzcstandardhatch »

i'm pretty sure you guys know the event will sell out if it is on a weekend, and might barely cover itself if its weekdays.

thats just what happens.

WMHM will probably always be weekends now. NO problem filling up a weekend event.

when we did it on weekdays, the hardcores came out, obviously, but we had almost no specators, an the events barely filled, like, chris only broke even because of T shirt sales.