Best purchase of 2010 - ipad

Anything goes? Well, if you keep it clean and aren't obnoxious.
p nut
New ITRCA Member

Best purchase of 2010 - ipad

Post by p nut »

I love this thing. My laptop collects dust. Even my iPhone 4 gets more bench time. Got the wifi version and have it tethered with the iPhone for data. Got it for myself, but now the wife wants one, too. And my kid is in love with the games (talking cat game, especially). First thought it would be lame, because it's really just an overgrown iPhone, and told myself I'd never get one. I'm eating my words now.

Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: Best purchase of 2010 - ipad

Post by Bradstard »

I've been telling people that since they came out, but they are just an overgrown iPhone. I LOVE mine and don't leave home without it. Now jailbreak it and install mywi on it so it can be a 3g hotspot. The battery life is AMAZING! Even running as a 3g hotspot you can get 24+ hours of run time. Galaxy S tablet what?
p nut
New ITRCA Member

Post by p nut »

I just got the wifi version since I already have an iPhone. Which i jailbroke and run mywi <--- awesome!!!! Battery life is spectacular. I've been on it all day and it's at 53% now.
D
"D" that's it.

Post by D »

hookers and blow would be a better purchase.
98#797
98#551
There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the rate of increase in output per unit increase of input decreases as the input increases
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

D wrote:hookers and blow would be a better purchase.
it does that too.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

Erik95LS wrote:
D wrote:hookers and blow would be a better purchase.
it does that too.
It grants three wishes, two of them could be hookers and blow.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Bradstard »

It depends on what you do. For my field of work, I find it EXTREMELY valuable. If I were a mechanic, I would not have much use for one.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

Bradstard wrote:It depends on what you do. For my field of work, I find it EXTREMELY valuable. If I were a mechanic, I would not have much use for one.
I'll bet it makes a pretty decent hammer.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
D
"D" that's it.

Post by D »

Bradstard wrote:It depends on what you do. For my field of work, I find it EXTREMELY valuable. If I were a mechanic, I would not have much use for one.
I just dont' get what it can offer over say, a netbook/small laptop... other than it NOT having a keyboard, or NOT being able to tilt the display for viewing pleasure. :shrug:

+1 for battery life maybe???

Seriously tho... what am i missing other than some mystical kool aid.
98#797
98#551
There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the rate of increase in output per unit increase of input decreases as the input increases
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

D wrote:
I just dont' get what it can offer over say, a netbook/small laptop... other than it NOT having a keyboard, or NOT being able to tilt the display for viewing pleasure. :shrug:

Umm all it needs is the apple logo to instantly be wanted by millions. What it actually does is moot.
-Eric
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

CivicBeater wrote:
D wrote:

Umm all it needs is the apple logo to instantly be wanted by millions. What it actually does is moot.
Brad vouching for it has a little more validity as he doesn't use apple computers nor have an iPhone, so it can't be blanket apple-fanboyism in his case.
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

itrsteez wrote:
CivicBeater wrote:
D wrote:

Brad vouching for it has a little more validity as he doesn't use apple computers nor have an iPhone, so it can't be blanket apple-fanboyism in his case.

Posted from Iphone
Fixed :P
-Eric
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

CivicBeater wrote:
itrsteez wrote: Posted from Iphone
Fixed :P
Posted from overpriced, yet radical laptop.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

I wasn't an iPad (laugh everytime I think about that phrase) until I saw it in use. The battery life is killer, but also the fact you can instantly turn it on and use the device. I don't consider is a laptop replacement, but it definitely is a winner when compared to a netbook or kindle device. If you want a device to go sit on the couch and surf the web/watch tv, this is it. If you want a device to read books on it's probably a toss up, but the multi-use advantages of this unit of the kindle is a no brainer. Add in the ability to play games and applications for hours on end on tips etc, and the device is much more than just a netbook or kindle replacement and the value is there. I still wouldn't pay $500 for one, but if/when they drop it down to $400 I'l be more interested.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

D wrote:

I don't have one, nor do I want one...

The benifits I see are portability (especially the 3G model) Not having to lug a laptop to every meeting (say you have 4-5 a day), keeping the kids from going crazy if you have them (entertainment)

As a casual user, I'm with you. I'll take the laptop with a full keyboard on the couch vs. an Ipad.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

I gotta stop buying gadgets and whatnot so I can eventually own an R...
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

sptrescue wrote:I gotta stop buying gadgets and whatnot so I can eventually own an R...
Prices are really cheap right now. Great time to buy a caR.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

sptrescue wrote:I gotta stop buying gadgets and whatnot so I can eventually own an R...
My black one is in wilmington, just got rebuilt so it's all fresh. If you want it's a good weekend to steal it :)
p nut
New ITRCA Member

Post by p nut »

I was a naysayer, too, until I actually tried it. On paper, it wasn't anything impressive. In real life functionality, it's a winner. And even though it shouldn't be a replacement for the laptop, it replaced mine. All I use now is my desk top and this.

So stop mag racing and go try one out! :D

Last thing--I'm not an Apple fanboy. I do own an iPhone, iMac and iPad. However, only because they simple work and continue to work. Don't know how many phones I went through yearly before the iPhone. Have owned it for over 2 years now with zero issues. Can't say the same about BB, Moto, Samsung, etc. I've owned in the past. Same with the desk top. Had it since 06 and it runs like new. My PC desktops and laptops are probably in the dumpster somewhere.....

Edit: it seems as though I do look, swim, and quack like a duck, therefore I am a fanboy. :lol:
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

p nut wrote: Last thing--I'm not an Apple fanboy. I do own an iPhone, iMac and iPad. However, only because they simple work and continue to work.
Me too, been a long time Apple user for many many years. I guess I could be considered a fanboy but I enjoy using their products. I have an array of Microsoft certifications but that doesn't mean I want to go home and deal with bullshit.
D
"D" that's it.

Post by D »

p nut wrote:Last thing--I'm not an Apple fanboy. I do own an iPhone, iMac and iPad. However, only because they simple work and continue to work.
So... i've got this old school PentiumII box that's been running windows 2000 for like.... 12 or 13 years.... its' in my garage, near the bench grinder and welding area. It just 'works'. Sometimes i have to throw something at it, or hit it to get the fan to stop making noise.
98#797
98#551
B18CXr
ITRCA Member

Post by B18CXr »

So... i've got this old school PentiumII box that's been running windows 2000 for like.... 12 or 13 years.... its' in my garage, near the bench grinder and welding area. It just 'works'. Sometimes i have to throw something at it, or hit it to get the fan to stop making noise.

lmao, my Dell laptop is 10 years old (bought the day I got laid off) on XP, Office 2K and was used 6 days a week straight for 4 years @ P1........still working, for now.
Yack-
2002 Honda Challenge H1 Champion
Neptune, Apexi, AEM EMS certified tuner
splat
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by splat »

So they're killing the ipod classic. Which is a shame, since the next-largest ipod moving forward will be a 64gb touch for $400(!). Am I the only one carrying around a mostly-full large-capacity mp3 player? I guess I'm the one doing it wrong.
I've had beer at VIR, Summit Point, CMP, Roebling, Road Atlanta, BeaveRun, Gingerman, MAM, Lowe's Motor Speedway...
Seven-time ITR Expo participant
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

I have a 3G 40gb iPod that I paid $400 for in 2004. It's about the same size as a pack of cigarettes, the tight part about it since it's firewire only I have a bootable OSX Image on there that I've used to blow away friend's computers (with their permission of course)
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

p nut wrote:
Edit: it seems as though I do look, swim, and quack like a duck, therefore I am a fanboy. :lol:
:lol: Don't you feel much better now being outside the closet?! hahaha!
-Eric