ATTN: Mountain Bikers

Anything goes? Well, if you keep it clean and aren't obnoxious.
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

ATTN: Mountain Bikers

Post by CivicBeater »

So I've been reading and comparing different models on Trek's website. (Trek, who seem to make pretty solid bikes with not breaking the bank to bad.)

The Fuel EX6 has RockShox front shocks with Fox rear

The Fuel EX8 (more $$) and higher has Fox front and rear.

So I assume, Fox is a better product. With that said, should I try to stay away from bikes equipped with RockShox???

Any other bikes I should look into? Will be purchasing within (2) months or so. My uncle and team who I will be riding with all are on S-Works Stumpjumpers. hehe Little too rich for my blood!

-E
-Eric
Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: ATTN: Mountain Bikers

Post by Bradstard »

I would look for a used bike if you don't want to break the bank. See if it is something you are going to stick with or change your mind about after purchasing.........
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

There are a lot of mtn bikers here, including myself

If you can snag a used bike, this time of year can yield some great deals. Yes, Fox stuff is fantastic. My current mtn bike has both front and rear fox. :)
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

First, what is your budget?

Second, why a full suspension bike?

Third, are you opposed to getting something used?

Fourth, is this your first go at MTB?

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can.

My general thought here is buy a used bike if this is your first go and see if your really going to do it. Full suspension bikes can be great, but they hide mistakes you'll encounter on the way. Starting on a hardtail is a great way to learn, and are also lighter.

<--- who got into it for a bike for $250 (Gary Fisher hardtail) and another few bucks for a hydration system and helmet/gloves.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

Dave_B wrote: Starting on a hardtail is a great way to learn, and are also lighter.
plus much much better if you're going to be doing any climbing.

Everyone has made good points and used is probably the best way to go starting out. If looking at new, definitely look at Giant first. They make the frames and assemble most of the bikes under $1000. True of Trek, Specialized, GT, Gary Fisher, and a bunch of other companies. Buying from them gives you about $100 value in components for any given complete bike price. Something to keep in mind.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

My budget is around $1,500 for the bike, however would go higher if there is a drastic difference. My uncle has a NIB Helmet, Camel pak, jersey and fresh spandex. I also will need to get a hitch/rack or roof rack plus some shoes.

Main reason for new is I may be able to get a really good deal as my Uncle is sponsored by a bike shop down in S. FL and he thinks I'll be able to get store pricing on anything they carry. Which could potentially knock 500-700 off retail.

Some of the major parks in south florida are pretty rough and very fast from what I'm told, which are really geared for full suspension Bikes. I'm just going on the advice from guys down there on what to go with. When I was about 16 I used to ride a hardtail all the time.

I wouldn't be opposed to a used bike as long as I can find one gently/barely used.
-Eric
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

just so you know its a little bit tougher to setup training-wheels properly on a full suspension bike. May want to take that into consideration before making your decision
-Erik

CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Erik95LS wrote:just so you know its a little bit tougher to setup training-wheels properly on a full suspension bike. May want to take that into consideration before making your decision
:lol:

Question - So do you have any tips on how to measure myself for the proper frame size? OR should I go to a shop to get sized?
-Eric
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

You have to size up in person. You can get rough ideas based on height and inseam, but it varies upon make and model. I have a L specialized road bike and a medium klein mtn bike.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

This can get you in the ballpark, but it's all about what works for you. Some people like larger frames and some like smaller. I like a smaller frame than what is "ideal" for my height. A shop with a sizing frame should be able to help you find what feels most comfortable for you. They're mostly used for road bikes, but it works jut as well for mtbs.

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride ... sizing.htm
-Erik

Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Bradstard »

I also prefer a smaller frame on a mountain bike as I find them much more maneuverable. I'm 5'6" and have a 15" frame on a Trek (hard tail). I'm too damn lazy to get out on the trails though...beer and video games are much more appealing to me.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Get sized. They measure some odd stuff, and guessing just isn't going to cut it.

Plus, if you purchase a bike at said store you get sized at, they can then set the bike up to you.

$1500 is an aweful lot just to get started. It's up to you though. I'm in cheap myself. I can always upgrade later on.

CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Yeah, I assume at 6'1" a L will suit me, however I'll definitely go get sized at a shop then before I close the deal on one.

I plan on getting into some racing after I get into decent shape, so I want a bike that I'll be able to grow into a bit and also take a daily beating. Nice thing is I'll be living 15-20 minutes from some of of the nicest MTB trails in the South East (Markham Park), so it will be getting a lot of use.

The influence: http://eclipseracingteam.com/blog/ A few amateurs I'll be hooking up with who ride a lot and try to race whenever/wherever.

The only thing I'm hesitant with about a roof rack is the wind noise. Anyone ever had one?
-Eric
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

For instance, I would spend too much money on this:

http://raleigh.daype.com/autos/bikes/20 ... 36285.html
-Eric
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

I'm going to keep an eye on this auction just to see what it goes for http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Stumpju ... 050wt_1139
-Eric
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

I haven't seen a trail in Florida yet that really benefits from a full suspension bike.. a lot of guys use them though.

Your height doesn't matter, two different guys boith 6'1 can have completely different frame lengths, preference and you can be 6'1 with long legs and short torso or 6'1 and be like Dave b, tall torso and midget legs. Those two 6'1" bodies fit drastically different frames.

Get fitted, specially with the bike shop hookup, then find what fits your needs best.. a full suspension will work fine but doesn't make it the best choice :)

<--- rides a hardtail as well.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

I have to learn more, but from what I can tell on these fancy full suspension bikes, you can switch the rear shock on the fly to where it stiffens for climbing etc. idk.
-Eric
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

You can lock them for anti-bob. It doesn't become solid just stiffer. FS bikes are weird but you get use to them. I'd rock a FS if I did a lot of downhill I'm sure but I don't think that exists in Florida. On the other hand it's not like you'll be doing any real climbing on Florida trails so it probably won't matter :)
-Dave
cmdR430
ITRCA Member

Post by cmdR430 »

When you go out for a ride, are you going to ride for 30 minutes or 3 hours?

I you answered "yes" to 30 minutes, just get a hardtail...

If you answered "yes" to 3 hours, get full suspension...

Full suspension allows you to ride longer because the bike absorbs the majority of the bumps and not your body, you will feel better when you get off the bike....

<----17 years in the bicycling industry and counting....
-Cameron

97' ITR #127
09' ASM SI 4 DR
09' CRV EX-L
Sold- 98' ITR #430 00' ITR #296
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

Well with whatever bike Eric gets I'm sure he's going to love it but eventually sell it.

sorry, I had to :beer:
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Bradstard »

x2
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

cmdR430 wrote:When you go out for a ride, are you going to ride for 30 minutes or 3 hours?

I you answered "yes" to 30 minutes, just get a hardtail...

If you answered "yes" to 3 hours, get full suspension...

Full suspension allows you to ride longer because the bike absorbs the majority of the bumps and not your body, you will feel better when you get off the bike....

<----17 years in the bicycling industry and counting....
Unless you're a man instead of a little girl :P

It can hurt after awhile, but have unfortunately ridden for multiple hours.. when I used to actually ride daily it was 1.5hours a day.
-Dave
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

You rode a multiple hours... where? :P

Good times, we need another NC MTB trip y0

coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Dave_B wrote:....Good times, we need another NC MTB trip y0
I'v had a MTB here since May...
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Let's roll out. It's not "that" cold. :P