Any tranny experts out there?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
citrus3000psi
New ITRCA Member

Any tranny experts out there?

Post by citrus3000psi »

I'm helping a friend with an ls... Long story short, Axle seal was broken and had been leaking fluid. 5th gear eventually seized to the shaft, and the car was stuck in gear. We took apart the tranny, and were able to get everything apart with no real damage. However 5th gear syncro wear ring was destroyed along with inner 5th gear cage bearing. Instead of buying a new 5th gear sleeve set, just for the ring is it possible to steal the wear ring from reverse gear? Since the mainshaft isn't spinning when you go into reverse could any harm happen? The guy is tight on money and trying to save. I don't see why this wouldn't work so I was just throwing ideas out there.

Thanks
D
"D" that's it.

Re: Any tranny experts out there?

Post by D »

citrus3000psi wrote:I'm helping a friend with an ls... Long story short, Axle seal was broken and had been leaking fluid. 5th gear eventually seized to the shaft, and the car was stuck in gear. We took apart the tranny, and were able to get everything apart with no real damage. However 5th gear syncro wear ring was destroyed along with inner 5th gear cage bearing. Instead of buying a new 5th gear sleeve set, just for the ring is it possible to steal the wear ring from reverse gear? Since the mainshaft isn't spinning when you go into reverse could any harm happen? The guy is tight on money and trying to save. I don't see why this wouldn't work so I was just throwing ideas out there.

Thanks
I assume you're referring to the synchro spring?

Gearspeed sells synchro kits, and spring kits separate from an entire synchronizer sleeve set.
http://store.gearspeedpartsstore.com/synchros.html

If you haven't already, i would tear down both the CS and MS assembly, clean all the MS/CS oiling holes. Same with the oil guide plates on both the clutch case and outer case. All oiling passages need to be clean and obstruction free.
98#797
98#551
There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the rate of increase in output per unit increase of input decreases as the input increases
citrus3000psi
New ITRCA Member

Post by citrus3000psi »

Awesome D. Thanks for the info, yeah gearspeed is the way to go.
I haven't torn down the countershaft, but I'll do that to be sure those cage bearings can get some nice fluid in there.
D
"D" that's it.

Post by D »

citrus3000psi wrote:I haven't torn down the countershaft, but I'll do that to be sure those cage bearings can get some nice fluid in there.
additionally... at minimum, inspect the input shaft bearing. i'd probably just replace it anyway while you're in there.
98#797
98#551
There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the rate of increase in output per unit increase of input decreases as the input increases
Aquafina
produced by PepsiCo.

Post by Aquafina »

Not possible.
Whoopee Doo Racing ITR EXPO 6,7,8,9 Sponsor
MFactory, Rocket Motorsports, Action Clutch, CP Pistons, Supertech
MFactory North American Installer