Stalling still, any other ideas?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Stalling still, any other ideas?

Post by allenzx »

2000 ITR 59k stalls if the throttle is opened suddenly at under 2000 rpm in 4th or 5th. Then hard to start but finally started after multiple attempts. Replaced fuel filter and catalytic converter (had code for cat efficiency, now cleared). Runs well otherwise. Any more ideas? Thanks.
Dave_B

Re: Stalling still, any other ideas?

Post by Dave_B »

I take it no CEL's?

Any mods?

When was the last tune up, and what was done?

Surging idle?
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Post by allenzx »

No Mods, no CEL (now with the new cat), idles fine under standard conditions although the idle was fast after the restart finally succeeded. Relative novice to troubleshooting ITR so not sure what constitutes a "tune up". Plugs are original as are rotor and wires. Air and fuel filters replaced. Any other routine items I should do? Will check tonight for codes that do not give CEL .
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Kind of sounds like a fuel MAP Sensor
-Eric
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

I'd also replace the plugs, cap , and rotor since they are so cheap (and part of a standard tune-up). Did you replace the o2 sensor when you replaced the cat? Can you duplicate the problem when the car is cold and warmed up?
2001 Integra Type-R NBP #201
http://www.integratyper.org - ITR Registry!
citrus3000psi
New ITRCA Member

Post by citrus3000psi »

So it wont die when you go wot when in your 2nd or 3rd? Sounds like some type of load issue to me, which would point me to ignition problems. One thing to check, right when the car dies pop some of the plugs off and see how they look. If they aer wet then its more than likely something with the ignition. So I would do already what was recommend, cap, rotor, wires first. And if your feeling frisky maybe a coil. However if you go buy a whole new distributor setup stay away from dizzy king. Stay OEM.
fullybuilt2.0
ITRCA Member

Post by fullybuilt2.0 »

beastnatch wrote:I'd also replace the plugs, cap , and rotor since they are so cheap (and part of a standard tune-up). Did you replace the o2 sensor when you replaced the cat? Can you duplicate the problem when the car is cold and warmed up?
X2
DD: 01 NHBP ITR #873
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Post by allenzx »

Thanks for all the help. I plan to do what was suggested even though it runs well under load at higher rpm. Wed it stalled with wot in 3rd I think and required many tries to start, then ran fine. That day after work it would not start at all, I had it towed home and after the tow it started right up smooth as can be!! I will try to check for wet plugs and also check for spark with the next starting failure and post the results. Happy New Year!

OT: Also, would you use oem or aftermnarket for clutch master cylinder?
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Post by allenzx »

Stalling follow-up. Even though there was observable spark, I changed the plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and MAP sensor and the stalling was cured! Now working on another problem with emissions. Because of code P4020 I replaced the catalytic converter with a Magnaflow aftermarket "high performance" cat based mostly on price. The old cat had loose stuff rattling around in it so I figured it was bad. Now after several drive cycles the code is back. Not sure if the new cat is inadequate or if the rear O2 sensor is bad. Car seems to run well. Any recommendations?
Fatchance187
New ITRCA Member

Post by Fatchance187 »

I used to switch between a test pipe and a high flow catalytic converter and the only time i ever got a CEL was when the O2 sensor was bad.
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Post by allenzx »

i ordered one - we'll see what happens. Thanks for your response.