Clutch issue and clunking noise.

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Clutch issue and clunking noise.

Post by elambz »

So now that I've gotten my car back I've found that when I start my car cold, it doesn't want to go into any gear. Before I could put it in any gear other than first or reverse and then into that gear but now none. I have to pump the clutch probably 10 times before it'll go into a gear. Once I've driven it, it's fine for a few hours but when it sits over night the same thing happens the next morning. The master cylinder went on it and I had it replaced with all brand new oem parts. It also engages waaaay different that nates stock R. It's pretty close to the floor when it engages and when it disengages. It's much stiffer but I like that and believe it's due to the parts. I think it's a competition clutch and a act pressure plate. Dave can possibly confirm this since he installed it.

Another thing is I've got a clunking sound from the left front. Happens when turning sometimes and also when going over bumps. The suspension is all stock, with the hub, bearing and axle all being replaced. My buddy Jarrod checked to make sure all bolts were tight so there's nothing loose. What could this sound be caused by? Clunking might not be the optimal description of the sound, but its the best I can think of.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Re: Clutch issue and clunking noise.

Post by Doespike »

How many miles on chassis? How about bushings and tie rods?
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

128k. Bushings are stock. I just had an alignment done so I figured if I had a tie rod problem it would have been noticed, but jarrod and I did discuss the possibility of tie rods.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

So many things can cause a clunk after awhile. The clutch issue sounds like either a re-bleed or something else worn. I had a bad slave cyl in mine when I got it. It was only ok and caused some shifts to be rough. In turn, that caused more expensive issues.

Ball joints, loose axles, tie rods, and bushings almost always solve any clunks. I'd definitely check those, especially ball joints, although those usually have a higher-pitched thunk.
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

cheezthis wrote:So many things can cause a clunk after awhile. The clutch issue sounds like either a re-bleed or something else worn. I had a bad slave cyl in mine when I got it. It was only ok and caused some shifts to be rough. In turn, that caused more expensive issues.

Ball joints, loose axles, tie rods, and bushings almost always solve any clunks. I'd definitely check those, especially ball joints, although those usually have a higher-pitched thunk.
It definitely shouldn't need a rebleed as we made sure it was bled properly when the master was replaced. Maybe the slave is going as well. Once I get it going its no issue, so I guess I can deal with it for a bit longer to figure it out.

The clunking is definitely a "lower" pitched sound. If it ends up being bushings, I'll order the hardrace kit and just replace all the bushings in the car. I'm gonna start to lean towards tie rod or bushings as I keep hearing that over and over again from people. This is probably something much easier to diagnose by driving the car and hearing the sound instead of a description on the net though.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

You can easily tell if you put it up i the air, inspect for wear.

For me, I've had to rebleed the clutch a few times to get it right. It would act up in the low gears, especially from a stop. If you're pumping the pedal, then it's a hydraulic issue of some sort.
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

cheezthis wrote:You can easily tell if you put it up i the air, inspect for wear.

For me, I've had to rebleed the clutch a few times to get it right. It would act up in the low gears, especially from a stop. If you're pumping the pedal, then it's a hydraulic issue of some sort.
Well it only acts up on that first start of the day. I guess I'll give it another rebleed and see if that works. If it doesn't after a few tries should I then look at replacing the slave?

I'll put the car up in the air and take a look at the bushings, but I have no idea how to check the tie rods for wear. I've never looked at em before.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
Little_Nolan
ITRCA Member

Post by Little_Nolan »

Chris, bring that clown car down to TDC (where we swapped wheels) by me. I am sure that between the owner, you and I we can figure it out... If you are having to pump up the pedal on it I think first step is to vacuum bleed that system and see if that is the problem then move onto the slave.

Did you notice that my R was a bit difficult to get into gear aswell from a dead stop??
I KILL car thieves.
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

Little_Nolan wrote:Chris, bring that clown car down to TDC (where we swapped wheels) by me. I am sure that between the owner, you and I we can figure it out... If you are having to pump up the pedal on it I think first step is to vacuum bleed that system and see if that is the problem then move onto the slave.

Did you notice that my R was a bit difficult to get into gear aswell from a dead stop??
Yeah, but not as bad as mine is first thing in the morning. Yours reminds me of how mine used to be. I work mon-fri til 6 this week, but bringing it down to TDC sometime this week is a definite good idea.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
anselmw
New ITRCA Member

Post by anselmw »

Clutch issue sounds like a hydraulic issue. Is their fluid leaking arounf the clutch master cylinder. Also how old is the clutch?
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

anselmw wrote:Clutch issue sounds like a hydraulic issue. Is their fluid leaking arounf the clutch master cylinder. Also how old is the clutch?
Clutch was either new or pretty new when I bought the car 13k miles ago. The master cylinder is brand new, we just replaced it less than 100mi ago.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
Little_Nolan
ITRCA Member

Post by Little_Nolan »

elambz wrote:
Little_Nolan wrote:Chris, bring that clown car down to TDC (where we swapped wheels) by me. I am sure that between the owner, you and I we can figure it out... If you are having to pump up the pedal on it I think first step is to vacuum bleed that system and see if that is the problem then move onto the slave.

Yeah, but not as bad as mine is first thing in the morning. Yours reminds me of how mine used to be. I work mon-fri til 6 this week, but bringing it down to TDC sometime this week is a definite good idea.

Well you can come by saturday if need be. Just let me know when so I can give him a heads up... What fluid are you running btw?
I KILL car thieves.
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

Stock Honda fluid.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
citrus3000psi
New ITRCA Member

Post by citrus3000psi »

elambz wrote:
anselmw wrote:Clutch issue sounds like a hydraulic issue. Is their fluid leaking arounf the clutch master cylinder. Also how old is the clutch?
Clutch was either new or pretty new when I bought the car 13k miles ago. The master cylinder is brand new, we just replaced it less than 100mi ago.
What about the slave cylinder? It can leak inside of the boot where it connects to the trans, so you may never visually see a leak.

I've replaced my slave twice, once at maybe 70k? and then at the last expo at the track. I decided to do a bleed and I made the clutch much worse after doing this. Went down the local autozone, spent 14 bucks and clutch was perfecto after that.
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

Haven't checked inside the boot, just gave it a visual inspection. I guess we'll try to check it out this weekend if I'm in town and go from there.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Good information Dan.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

So for the last 2 days, it has not had a single issue going into gear. Everytime I get in the car it goes right into gear first try. Maybe it was tough because I hadn't driven the car hardly at all prior to getting it back?

I also found that the outermost bushing on the front left lower control arm is torn on the top. I dunno if thats what causing the clunking, but yesterday I was driving pretty slow through a parking lot with a lot of pot holes and each bump it made the clunk. It seems to me that would make it a definite suspension issue and the only thing I could see out of place in that corner was that bushing being torn. I think I'm gonna order me a set of the Hard race bushings and get those pressed in.
2000 FBP ITR #0288