My New Velocity Stack

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
neo_
ITRCA Member

My New Velocity Stack

Post by neo_ »

So I finally hooked up my BP V-Stack to the end of my AEM 3" CAI, eliminating the possible heatsoak. I used pantyhose as a temporaly filter. A K&N filter is on the way. The throttle responce is slightly better, and it feels like it breaths easier closer to redline.

JDM Burgundy Pantyhose

Double Filtration, FTW

Pantyhose ripped in the test fit.
PrinceAli132
ITRCA Member

Re: My New Velocity Stack

Post by PrinceAli132 »

Looks good, im suprised you put it on without the filter. Diid you have to cut the AEM intake at all? And could you honestly not find anoter color pantyhose?

Ali
neo_
ITRCA Member

Post by neo_ »

PrinceAli132 wrote:Looks good, im suprised you put it on without the filter. Diid you have to cut the AEM intake at all? And could you honestly not find anoter color pantyhose?

Ali
I should have the filter in wednesday. Pantyhose are alright temporaly, some people even put them on without a filter at all. No cutting needed. And thats JDM pantyhose, better filtration!
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

I never understood the hype with these things
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

walker111 wrote:I never understood the hype with these things
dude his car now makes 40,386 hp, AT THE WHEELS!!!

It's NOT STOCK!!!!!
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

Dave-ROR wrote:
dude his car now makes 40,386 hp, AT THE WHEELS!!!

It's NOT STOCK!!!!!
Where can I buy one!?!?!?
neo_
ITRCA Member

Post by neo_ »

Yeah, me either.

walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

Is that with or without a filter?
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

walker111 wrote:Is that with or without a filter?
It doesn't say with a filter in the chart, so I'd guess without. And once you add one, the gains will likely decrease to about the same, depending on how the filter is added to the system.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

Dave-ROR wrote:
It doesn't say with a filter in the chart, so I'd guess without. And once you add one, the gains will likely decrease to about the same, depending on how the filter is added to the system.
Thats what I figured.
neo_
ITRCA Member

Post by neo_ »

Dave-ROR wrote:
Once you add one, the gains will likely decrease to about the same, depending on how the filter is added to the system.
Go look around in the H-T N/A forums, people have tested them with and without a filter. With minimal differences if any.
BryanPendleton
New ITRCA Member

Post by BryanPendleton »

Dave-ROR wrote:
This testing was performed on a B20 last weekend.
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

I wouldn't think that little thing would help any. Has anybody tried to dyno without a filter or stack? Looks to me the extra gains are from just removing the filter. I could be wrong though.
BryanPendleton
New ITRCA Member

Post by BryanPendleton »

ITR862 wrote:I wouldn't think that little thing would help any. Has anybody tried to dyno without a filter or stack? Looks to me the extra gains are from just removing the filter. I could be wrong though.
Without diving into fluid dynamics, the gains come from how the air flow is controlled not the "restrictiveness of the air filter media". If you pull the filter off a standard intake and leave plan end pipe exposed without a filter you can kill flow as much as 30-40%. Why? The fluid seperates at the entrance effectively creating a HUGE choke. I have modeled this in with CFD software and seen it in lab tests at the University of Houston.
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

Ahh, ok. My Comptech Icebox has a stack shape to it at the end which is basically the same thing right?
BryanPendleton
New ITRCA Member

Post by BryanPendleton »

ITR862 wrote:Ahh, ok. My Comptech Icebox has a stack shape to it at the end which is basically the same thing right?
Same thing? No. Improvement? Yes. Without knowing the geometry I cannot comment on it, but I will say that plan end pipe, square shoulder inlets, and even radiused inlets seen on some premium filter will generally fall short of preventing seperation of the flow at the entrance from the CFD studies I have run. On the other end, figuratively, you don't want to taper the stack too much as that simply destroys the pressure differential that is driving the flow to begin with.
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

Ok thanks.
BryanPendleton
New ITRCA Member

Post by BryanPendleton »

Neo, did you get a filter for your intake system? Saw your dyno, nice build. Looks like a fun car.
neo_
ITRCA Member

Post by neo_ »

Oh yes I have, here are the pics of the K&N Filter:

Thanks, it does the job :)

SerGTR
ITRCA Member

Post by SerGTR »

such a nice filter, how did you get it?
neo_
ITRCA Member

Post by neo_ »

SerGTR wrote:such a nice filter, how did you get it?
Looked at K&N's site for all the filters they made by dimensions.
BryanPendleton
New ITRCA Member

Post by BryanPendleton »

Here is a tip I recommend neo. That filter has a 1" flange length if I recall correctly, I would position the filter down on the flow stack another 1/4"-3/8" of an inch. This keeps the ID of the flange from "blocking" the radiused contour of the stack. Double check your flange length though, as the flow stack was designed for 5/8" flange length. Simply slide the filter down the difference and you should be good to go.
BryanPendleton
New ITRCA Member

Post by BryanPendleton »

neo_ wrote:So I finally hooked up my BP V-Stack to the end of my AEM 3" CAI, eliminating the possible heatsoak. I used pantyhose as a temporaly filter. A K&N filter is on the way. The throttle responce is slightly better, and it feels like it breaths easier closer to redline.
You got a chance to dyno your car yet?
neo_
ITRCA Member

Post by neo_ »

BryanPendleton wrote:
neo_ wrote:So I finally hooked up my BP V-Stack to the end of my AEM 3" CAI, eliminating the possible heatsoak. I used pantyhose as a temporaly filter. A K&N filter is on the way. The throttle responce is slightly better, and it feels like it breaths easier closer to redline.
You got a chance to dyno your car yet?
http://www.phearable.net/album/displayi ... at=0&pos=4

That was with 104 F ambient temperatures in the dyno room,. I also installed a new SMSP Header and Exhaust after it. It probally puts down around 210-215 WHP now.
tartje
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by tartje »

i'd be shit scared of going ANYWHERE near water with a filter down there like that :(