itr with 275/30/15

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
yeungkaho
New ITRCA Member

itr with 275/30/15

Post by yeungkaho »

is it possible to run this tire on stock wheel? I heard someone tried it, but cant find the post anywhere?
if it could, 275 and 225 rear would be great
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Re: itr with 275/30/15

Post by Bbasso »

I guess you are a AX guy?
well those questions might best answered on RR-AX.com.

good luck.
swed
MrHeavyfoot
New ITRCA Member

Post by MrHeavyfoot »

yeungkaho wrote:is it possible to run this tire on stock wheel? I heard someone tried it, but cant find the post anywhere?
It can be done. Someone was running that setup at Solo Nationals.
Pat
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

MrHeavyfoot wrote:
yeungkaho wrote:is it possible to run this tire on stock wheel? I heard someone tried it, but cant find the post anywhere?
With limited success....
MrHeavyfoot
New ITRCA Member

Post by MrHeavyfoot »

bbqman wrote:
MrHeavyfoot wrote:
With limited success....
I chose not to comment on that. You are more than entitled to however.... :)
Pat
ksconekiller
New ITRCA Member

Post by ksconekiller »

Reviving this thread...

Now that some time has passed to collect more data, which is the hot setup these days?
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Why do you want to run a 275/30/15 tire....
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
ksconekiller
New ITRCA Member

Post by ksconekiller »

Well, the original poster made a typing error; it's actually a 275/35/15 tire, but regardless...

Why would I want to run this tire? There's really no such thing as too much rubber when autocrossing a stock class car. If 225 front/ 205 rear is good, couldn't 275 front/ 225 rear be better? My understanding is that not everyone is faster with it, as you will lose some of the chassis feel versus the smaller tires, and some people need that feel to know what the car is doing. Maybe I will have to wait until Nationals and walk the grid to get my answer...
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

I apologize if I came off as harsh. From first glance the notion of running a 275 tire seemed a bit out there. I wasn't sure if running that wide of a tire was part of this new offset or wide wheels nonsense, so again I'm sorry.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
MrHeavyfoot
New ITRCA Member

Post by MrHeavyfoot »

Last year's SCCA D Stock winner was on 275's. My understanding is that they are beneficial on more sweeper intensive corners, but on more transitional courses the 225 may be a bit quicker plus most people I've talked to like the feel of the 225's more.

I just got a set of 275's. Ran them at one event but didn't have a new set of 225's to compare to. They were faster than the 2 year old 225's I had by about the same amount I would have expected new 225's to be (on a highly transitional course).

More testing next weekend vs new 225's.
Pat
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

I'm good friends with some former DS champs in an ITR. With that in mind, I will never understand the ridiculous level some of the auto-x world goes to with shocks and tires. Yes yes, I know the rules and so on...don't need to remind me.

I remember hearing about the larger tires people were squeezing on, but I think the success was not there back then. I'm not sure who is left in DS now.
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

MrHeavyfoot wrote:
Here is the car that most likely inspired this thread from the 08 Nationals. He was far from stock running on 10" wide rims.

After competing on an 8" wide rim on 225's, I actually reversed myself and went back to a 7" rim and 205/215 width maximum and here's why. Although the car had more overall grip it suffers with a much slower steering response and slower turn in ratio. It really made me work the wheel in the corners. It made the car less fun and sort of dead feeling. I didnt like that, I wanted a car that was lively and would react when I wanted it too. I found by going back to the skinnier rim it gave me what I was missing and I have no regrets about going back to it. I now believe in a stickier tire over more overall width.
Last edited by get RIGHT on June 14th, 2010, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

MrHeavyfoot wrote:Last year's SCCA D Stock winner was on 275's. My understanding is that they are beneficial on more sweeper intensive corners, but on more transitional courses the 225 may be a bit quicker plus most people I've talked to like the feel of the 225's more.

Are you sure? I coulda swore he was on 225's when I looked at it. I could be wrong though. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

in a high level high horsepower SM car it makes sense, but in a stock class I'm betting tires that wide would greatly slow you down.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

Erik95LS wrote:in a high level high horsepower SM car it makes sense, but in a stock class I'm betting tires that wide would greatly slow you down.
That happened with whomever crammed the 245 or whatever in DS a few years ago. The others on 225 did better if I recall.
ksconekiller
New ITRCA Member

Post by ksconekiller »

get RIGHT wrote:
MrHeavyfoot wrote:Last year's SCCA D Stock winner was on 275's. My understanding is that they are beneficial on more sweeper intensive corners, but on more transitional courses the 225 may be a bit quicker plus most people I've talked to like the feel of the 225's more.

Are you sure? I coulda swore he was on 225's when I looked at it. I could be wrong though. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Yep, he ran 275s all year last year. He answered a post earlier today, saying that he felt the wider tires excel in maneuvers that are likely to be in national-level courses. In a transition-heavy course, the 225 would be better, but a course with longer turns would favor the 275. He also noted that the 275s wear slightly better also, although on the ITR, that's not saying much. Of course, they cost more, so increased tire wear is probably a financial wash...
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

found a pic link...
http://gotcone.com/pgallery/2009_scca_t ... ionals/ds/

on a side note, I can tell you that CSS driver is is still upset about losing to a decade old car with less power. I kinda rub it in everytime I see him too. :P
boardkat
New ITRCA Member

Post by boardkat »

get RIGHT wrote:
MrHeavyfoot wrote:
Here is the car that most likely inspired this thread from the 08 Nationals. He was far from stock running on 10" wide rims.
no. it was chang ho kim and feinberg/spratte that ran 275's in 08 in DS. limited success then. chang moved to ST and feinberg stuck it out, with great success throughout the season, but got the screw b/c of the air filter issue and DQ'd. alex ran the 275/205 stagger and won. he'd have won no matter what he ran though. he's gone to BS now, as am i.
my opinion: they work on the high grip surfaces with lots of steady state stuff (el toro/wendover/peru/lincoln). but they're expensive. and you won't beat kinch or pat no matter what you run though, so save your money and spend the extra dough on seat time :P
in all seriousness though, you aren't giving anything up running a 225/205 stagger until you find the limit on the car. that isn't going to happen the first year you run the car. maybe not even the 2nd. 16-24 before death on the 225 and 275 A6's is no fun when you aren't winning those tires. i ran 205 V710's square locally, rotated/flipped, and got over 100 runs before they fell off. this is what you'll want for anything not a pro/tour/nats.
ksconekiller
New ITRCA Member

Post by ksconekiller »

Looking at the photos in the link above, it looks like Kinch is running 225 on all four corners; those rear tires look wider than everyone else's, and they are definitely bulging out more from the wheels. Can anyone confirm this? If they fit in the rear, I wonder if it would be beneficial to run the extra width all the way around. Heck, if I'm interested in running the same all around, I might as well run the V710 and get more runs out of them. Still curious if the 225s can fit out back, though.
boardkat
New ITRCA Member

Post by boardkat »

ksconekiller wrote:Looking at the photos in the link above, it looks like Kinch is running 225 on all four corners; those rear tires look wider than everyone else's, and they are definitely bulging out more from the wheels. Can anyone confirm this? If they fit in the rear, I wonder if it would be beneficial to run the extra width all the way around. Heck, if I'm interested in running the same all around, I might as well run the V710 and get more runs out of them. Still curious if the 225s can fit out back, though.
we co-drove last year (that's actually me in the pics). he ran a 225/205 stagger. different wheels than the rest of us though - those are volks in the rear (we all ran millenias) - could be the reason they look "wider". you don't want a square setup, trust me. loose = fast. you *can* fit 225's in the rear though - feinberg ran a 275/225 stagger. what fun is a "neutral" setup though ;)
ksconekiller
New ITRCA Member

Post by ksconekiller »

If I use a 205 V710 setup for local events and then go to a 225/205 Hoosier setup for large events, will the car be drastically different? Will it hurt me to get used to the car on 205s and then switch? If it makes any difference, I'm accustomed to a FWD car that is neutral since I came from a well-prepped ST Civic before the ITR.

Unrelated but similar subject, since we seem to have some autocross experience here... I've noticed the OEM brakes need some help. What pads have worked for others? My ST Civic worked well with Hawk HPS front & stock rear.
ksconekiller
New ITRCA Member

Post by ksconekiller »

coolhandluke wrote:I apologize if I came off as harsh. From first glance the notion of running a 275 tire seemed a bit out there. I wasn't sure if running that wide of a tire was part of this new offset or wide wheels nonsense, so again I'm sorry.
I somehow missed this until now. No sweat. I didn't take it as harsh at all. This isn't about new offsets or wide wheels, but probably does seem like nonsense. :roll:

I see you are from TN; I just bought a car from Knoxville. What part are you from?
boardkat
New ITRCA Member

Post by boardkat »

ksconekiller wrote:If I use a 205 V710 setup for local events and then go to a 225/205 Hoosier setup for large events, will the car be drastically different? Will it hurt me to get used to the car on 205s and then switch? If it makes any difference, I'm accustomed to a FWD car that is neutral since I came from a well-prepped ST Civic before the ITR.

Unrelated but similar subject, since we seem to have some autocross experience here... I've noticed the OEM brakes need some help. What pads have worked for others? My ST Civic worked well with Hawk HPS front & stock rear.
if you want to go fast in an ITR, you don't want neutral. get used to that back end wagging, stomping your right foot down and letting that wonderful diff pull you through anything!! tune your front pressures to whatever gets you not rolling on the sidewall (40 was too low for me, but kinch could run 38-40 - had more camber than i did, damn factory robots - i settled on 42-45), and bump those rears WAY up (56-60 was my range, crazy, but worked).
biggest differences: turn in and absolute grip level. the car will turn in and GRIP with the A6's, but the V710's tend to wash out at first. won't be an issue, a couple runs at the TnT or your first competition run and you'll be wishing you could run A6's all the time! this assumes you have a similar setup of course - i ran koni doubles with an SPSS3-like revalve. compression adjustment is your friend, especially on the high grip surfaces like peru and lincoln. helps to back them off on the lower grip surfaces, too. i ran hawk hp+ on all four corners, after being dissatisfied with the porterfield r4s. brake dust galore, destroyed the white paint on my stock wheels, lol. but they bite, especially on r-comps. if there's one thing i miss about my ITR, it's the braking. god, the car could stop LATE and HARD!!
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

boardkat wrote: if you want to go fast in an ITR, you don't want neutral. get used to that back end wagging, stomping your right foot down and letting that wonderful diff pull you through anything!!
TRUTH! and great info and insight. This is refreshing.

Its a little un-nerving at first but once you get used to your rear end swinging around it can be alot of fun. I have scared more than one passenger with that technique who didn't think a FWD could rotate like that. I use a big rear sway for rotation.

I agree on the fronts, I have gone a diff direction for my rear pressures. I have found that I like the pressures low. Around 20 psi. I found that for my driving style the lower pressures where easier to manage when the rear starts swingin. The lower pressures seemed to not "snap" around as hard and it seemed even easier to control with throttle.

Since I am in STX, I only competetive at the local/regioanl level at best.