Turbo or Superchargers

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
peakperformer
New ITRCA Member

Turbo or Superchargers

Post by peakperformer »

I just bought a 2001 Type R and I am trying to decide on going with a turbo or supercharger. For example I can go with Procharger for $4800 full system and it gives 70-75% increase, or Jackson Supercharger stage 2 for 5400 and i think a boost about 100 hp, or a Vortech super For 5490.95 and it will be around 300 hp. Could you guys give me some pointers? Like if you have one or have heard one is better than the other I would appreciate it big time. Thanks.
PR-Type-R
New ITRCA Member

Re: Turbo or Superchargers

Post by PR-Type-R »

i was also wondering this..and how much "safer" are superchargers over turbo kits?
King-Tuning
New ITRCA Member

Post by King-Tuning »

Safe! It all depends on your power goal and the TUNE. I'll go with turbo, high rev- turbo. VTEC and turbo are the best combo.
I never really like superchargers.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

CHeck the FI Forum...its been covered a lot man
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
vtecnician
New ITRCA Member

Post by vtecnician »

imo if youre trying to make power superchargers are a waste of time... you could get as small as of a turbo as a gt28rs and make 350 whp.
BoostR41
ITRCA Member

Post by BoostR41 »

peakperformer wrote:I just bought a 2001 Type R and I am trying to decide on going with a turbo or supercharger. For example I can go with Procharger for $4800 full system and it gives 70-75% increase, or Jackson Supercharger stage 2 for 5400 and i think a boost about 100 hp, or a Vortech super For 5490.95 and it will be around 300 hp. Could you guys give me some pointers? Like if you have one or have heard one is better than the other I would appreciate it big time. Thanks.

for 6 grand you could almost assemble a motor and have a 600whp capable turbo kit
#98-0041 SOLD
556whp 399wtq
11.77@130mph full interior 23psi on M&H dot tires

11.010@130mph on slicks 25psi
best MPH- 132mph
HYREV2NR
New ITRCA Member

Post by HYREV2NR »

BoostR41 wrote:for 6 grand you could almost assemble a motor and have a 600whp capable turbo kit

So true! I went the SC route and it was a good experience but turbo is my next build for sure. Nothing too crazy just somewhere between 350-400 WHP.
MaxM3
New ITRCA Member

Post by MaxM3 »

While it's generally true that Turbos can produce more power than Superchargers, the downside is that more heat is generated by Turbo. Heat is NOT your friend in motors, so it depends on what you're really looking for.... flat out most power possible, or awesome power increase, yet still keep heat at safe levels. Personally, on an ITR, I'd stay with the Jackson Supercharger! I've driven them and it's an awesome combination!
nannerb46
New ITRCA Member

Post by nannerb46 »

If I were entertaining boost, I would go with a Full Race turbo kit. Quality is second to none (helped a buddy put one in his hatch). The guys have made great statements. Boost equals heat. It is the biproduct of compressing air. There will be supplementals required to make things run well (rad, fans, thermo switch, etc.). I would recommend to really map out your goals for what you want. If it is keeping the same power curve, with higher hp and tq numbers, the supercharger is the way to go. If your trying to fatten the tq curve, the turbo will do this, and give you much more expansion capability. Either way, it will be a hoot to drive.
Dainbramage
New ITRCA Member

Post by Dainbramage »

Why has no one asked what he's trying to do with the car?

Are you going for road racing, drag, highway, or just a quick daily driver?

If you're going road racing you'll like the linear powerband of the supercharger, but will ultimately be giving up some peak hp (in the easy cases). Though there have been many successful turbo road racers. This would definately be a personal preference in relation to driving style/comfort. Drag racing go with the turbo and you'll probably be happier. A quick street car will be reeeealy easy to do with a "bolt on" SC but you won't be the fastest kid on the block.
SaskCRX
New ITRCA Member

Post by SaskCRX »

Hmm just stumbled across this. I have a B18C(R) in my 1991 CRX the motor has 25,400miles and its just not quite enough for me. I want it to be road driveable(not daily) and its gonna be taken to do some quarter mile times. What route should i take and will it fit in my car? Thanks everyone.
TurboLS
ITRCA Member

Post by TurboLS »

Check our F/I section on team-integra...http://www.team-integra.net./forum/disp ... ForumID=12

ALL of your questions will be answered there as well as in the F/I articles located: http://www.team-integra.net./sections/a ... asp?Show=1

I'm a bit biased towards turbocharging myself :D
[url]http://www.automotivespecialtytool.net[/url]
Peer to Peer Renting and Lending of Specialty Tools for a Variety of Machines

2000 ITR Daily
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

Why not focus on becoming a faster driver and not pissing away money on having a faster car
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels