Extreme Performance Tire Information

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
stinkycheezmonky
New ITRCA Member

Re: Extreme Performance Tire Information

Post by stinkycheezmonky »

bluebomber wrote:I didn't realize there was a difference between ultra high performance and extreme
I do think its stupid how many categories of fast summer tires they have. Extreme, Ultra High, Maximum, blah blah blah. To someone who doesn't know about the specific models that would be extremely frustrating.

Also, X2 on the ride height thing. If you're rubbing holes in the fender liner of a Civic on 205/50s, you're way too low.
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

Well, I just got new tires yesterday.

I ended up with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 in 205/45/16.

I have to say, I love these tires. They are possibly the best mod I've ever done. I've never had such sticky tires before and it makes my car feel completely different, especially on freeway onramps and through turns. These were replacing a set of Yokohama ES100. The difference between the 2 is night and day!

I'm sure these won't last too long, and they cost me a bundle (783 after the 100 dollar rebate), but they sure are fun for now.
1995 Milano Red Civic EX-S 'EJ1' coupe
Inherited from and dedicated to Holly Marie Patterson
R.I.P. August 29, 1983 - September 17, 2003
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

bluebomber wrote:Well, I just got new tires yesterday.

I ended up with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 in 205/45/16.

I have to say, I love these tires. They are possibly the best mod I've ever done. I've never had such sticky tires before and it makes my car feel completely different, especially on freeway onramps and through turns. These were replacing a set of Yokohama ES100. The difference between the 2 is night and day!

I'm sure these won't last too long, and they cost me a bundle (783 after the 100 dollar rebate), but they sure are fun for now.
Wait till you see how awesome they are on track.

..... not sure if you do that, I saw CA as your location :) kidding.... sort of
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

I'd love to track my car, but I need a tune first. I've got a Hondata S300 waiting for me at my friend's shop. I just have to wait for a few more cars to get finished before I get my turn.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

I'm considering purchasing the Falken Azenis 615K's and the Khumo XS's. I'm aware of the wet performance drop on the XS's. The question is are the 615K's worth the additional $100 price tag over the XS's. I still would like to pickup a set of RE-11's but I could almost get two sets of Khumo's XS's for the price tag of one set of the RE-11's. If and when they come off their high horse price tag or offer a rebate I'l run them.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

RE-11s + RAIN = 1st place

I have less than half tread left and I dont recall hydroplanning at all. Actually I could not believe the grip that I had in standing water. Some of it was most likely the surface I was on (at the Nationals site) but the tires really hooked up in the wet. Just in raw times, I even out ran a 700hp Viper with a very good driver behind the wheel. :wink:
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

RE-11's are so awesome, it's only a matter of time before they become the standard-defacto.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

The price is their downfall. I missed their reduced price window and now they are almost double the price of others in the same category. I can do almost do a weekend event with the savings when choosing XS's over them. I can almost do a one day event with XS savings over the 615K's.

I'm working my contacts for better pricing. We'l see what I can get my hands on at a reasonable rate.
Last edited by coolhandluke on May 17th, 2010, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

I paid 783 bucks for my tires out the door (tax, mounting, balancing, and filled with nitrogen) after the rebate, and I have to say, it was the best investment in my car I've made to date.

I really love these tires. The price is high compared to other tires, but once you drive with them, you know where your money went.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

No offense...but spending $800 on track tires is nuts to me. At the rate I'm going I'l probably do another `~4 events this year. I can't justify that cost. I can get a set of XS's and do a weekend event with the savings. A set of 615K's and a one day event. You do the math. These are wear items guys.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

You are definitely right about being nuts. I've NEVER spent 800 bucks on tires. It's just something I could never justify before, but you know the saying, "You have to pay the cost to be the boss!"
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

The boss on what though? I'm not competing in any level like Shawn or others are. I do HPDE's which are learning based events only. Yes I want more grip but I don't see any point in burning through cash on tires. I do enough of that already. :axe:

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

coolhandluke wrote:The boss on what though? I'm not competing in any level like Shawn or others are. I do HPDE's which are learning based events only. Yes I want more grip but I don't see any point in burning through cash on tires. I do enough of that already. :axe:
still only $488 for 4 205/50 15's, looking at mine after two events I'm sure I'll need another set by the end of the year. They even ran them on the lemons car 2 weeks ago :)
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

lol

I just mean, if you want the best, you have to pay for it. I guess it all boils down to what your budget is.

I almost wish I ran 15s because they are so cheap compared to the 16s
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

itrsteez wrote:
coolhandluke wrote:The boss on what though? I'm not competing in any level like Shawn or others are. I do HPDE's which are learning based events only. Yes I want more grip but I don't see any point in burning through cash on tires. I do enough of that already. :axe:
still only $488 for 4 205/50 15's, looking at mine after two events I'm sure I'll need another set by the end of the year. They even ran them on the lemons car 2 weeks ago :)
I haven't been looking at 15'' sizes since my K1's have plenty of life on mine. I'm getting greedy and want to run fresh tires over older 615's. The RE-11's are $162 in 16'' sizes from tire rack, which doesn't include shipping. The 615K's are $126, and the XS's are $100.

bluebomber wrote:lol
I just mean, if you want the best, you have to pay for it. I guess it all boils down to what your budget is. I almost wish I ran 15s because they are so cheap compared to the 16s
Tire prices are why I originally switched to 15''s. A friend has sold me a set of 16'' wheels for cheap which is the only reason I will have them. My choice deals more with tires being a wear item than my budget. I'm not sure what you are competing in but I hope they serve you well.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
jfults2000
New ITRCA Member

Post by jfults2000 »

<------- is hoping the RE-11's come down in price to get some for expo... PLEASE BRIDGESTONE, REBATE PLEASE!!!!!!
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

Not sure that I'd count on that. Everybody found out how awesome they are already. No need for that insanely awesome promotion.
stinkycheezmonky
New ITRCA Member

bluebomber wrote:lol

I just mean, if you want the best, you have to pay for it. I guess it all boils down to what your budget is.

I almost wish I ran 15s because they are so cheap compared to the 16s
You could have a set of 15" Hoosiers for close to $800, and they'd be way better than RE-11s.

Shit, I spent $600 on R1s this year (which was a good price for them to begin with), and that made me feel pretty damn stupid, especially after finding out they're a bit narrow for my application. Assuming you have limited track experience, the $300 difference would be better spent on another event. You most likely won't see the 0.1sec/lap difference the RE-11 offers over the XS or whatever.

Also for the record, 16" wheels are the worst EVER for tire sizes and availability. Nothing sucks more than that diameter.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

stinkycheezmonky wrote: ....Also for the record, 16" wheels are the worst EVER for tire sizes and availability. Nothing sucks more than that diameter.
Yes that size really has a much more limited selection in tires and the prices are just silly. I have two sets of 15'' 615's that are close to their end in life. I don't mind tracking on them but I won't make a ~13hr drive on them. I'v picked up a set of 16'' wheels that need tires which is the only reason I was considering buying 16'' tires. If I buy tires they will be in the 15'' variety.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

Only reason I have RE11s is because they came with the SW388s and I'm glad they did. Such a great tire. I'd definitely spend the money on them. Definitely better than the 615s I'm used to.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

The 615's are old technology. Everything I'v read and heard says they do not hold a candle to the new technology out in the RE-11's, XS's, Advan's, etc. I'm very interested to hear more reviews on the new 615K's.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
Little_Nolan
ITRCA Member

Post by Little_Nolan »

coolhandluke wrote:The 615's are old technology. Everything I'v read and heard says they do not hold a candle to the new technology out in the RE-11's, XS's, Advan's, etc. I'm very interested to hear more reviews on the new 615K's.

I am currently running the Dunlop Z1 star specs (coming from advan neova AD07's) and I must say I do like them. They have great grip right from the get go, I would imagine theyd be a great Auto-X tire for you guys into that stuff. I however stick to HPDE's and they seem to do just fine, only thing that is somewhat noticable when comparing to the AD07's is that they seem to get "greasier" faster or sooner in the session. They are a great tire especially for the price. I however will be trying out some AD08's or RE-11's when these are done.

hope this helps
I KILL car thieves.
96specr
New ITRCA Member

Post by 96specr »

good info Ryan
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

I do kind of laugh when I read people bashing older Azenis as outdated and such compared to the softer tires such as the Star Spec (not including Azenis 615k, which seem to be down the same alley as the other new ones). I recall many people being very fast on the old 215 Azenis years ago, and no one complained about them except for some greasing up if driven hard.

The line between r-comp and street tire has been blurred a lot with the latest tires in the last few years, but I'm still happy. I'll just try to drive better...although I failed at that part on 6 yr old 215 Azenis last week, as Adam can attest to, ha.
stinkycheezmonky
New ITRCA Member

cheezthis wrote:I'll just try to drive better...although I failed at that part on 6 yr old 215 Azenis last week, as Adam can attest to, ha.
Actually, I think given just how awful those tires were you did really well, even with that T10 thing. There's only so fast that you can be on rocks like that. :P